Wednesday 30 July 2014

Day 16 - July 30th - Thunder Bay to Wawa - Zip lining!

Rockies Trip - Day 16 - July 30th, 2014
Thunder Bay to Wawa 
... and zip lining!


We had one thing on our mind when we woke up in Thunder Bay this morning…. would the weather be conducive to a bucket-list ‘cross-off’ that we had planned since February, when we stopped over in this city on our way back from the Ice Caves.

Mark had seen the signs for Canada’s longest zip line at Eagle Canyon Adventures and he decided then and there that we would do this in the summer. We nearly dropped in on our way out west, but knew that we had a long journey ahead so we thought we’d wait and do this upon our return. Although local showers were forecast, we went for it.

Located just over an hour east of Thunder Bay, the canyon boasts two suspension bridges, one being the longest in Canada – and it also has the longest zip line in Canada. Built and run by a father and son team, it is situated in a very picturesque setting, great for pics as well as adventure. The entrance is via a dirt road – and its red colour is reminiscent of P.E.I. 


Alan on the longer bridge

The shorter bridge from directly below (canyon level)
Mark crossing the upper, longer bridge

The shorter bridge from the canyon floor



Now – here’s the story!! We had both purchased tickets after discussing the logistics of taking photos of each other while on the zip line. It was decided that we would both go to the shorter suspension bridge where I would wait with camera in hand, and Mark would continue the journey to the top (and longer) suspension bridge, where the zip line began. I would take pics of Mark and then he would rejoin me on the lower bridge to collect the camera from me and return the favour.

I saw Mark at the top, getting ready for his ‘flight’ and, just as I thought he was about to start his descent, a family of 5 got on the bridge and it started to move. Concerned that I wouldn’t be able to focus properly to get the pictures, I took some wonderful photos and a short video clip of the WOMAN WHO WENT JUST BEFORE MARK!  Not realizing my mistake, I then walked off the bridge to await the planned rendezvous with Mark. From his point of view, he couldn’t understand why I wasn’t dutifully on the bridge taking his picture!! He thought I’d taken ill, or dropped the camera. When we finally caught up with each other, he asked me why I wasn’t on the bridge, to which I answered that I was and that I’d got his picture!

It was then that I discovered my mistake. Feeling guilty, I insisted that he use my ticket to repeat the ride. After much resistance, he reluctantly agreed, and this time I made sure that I did it right. If you click the pics to enlarge them, you might be able to see him as he 'yahooed' his way down! 



Better still, you can catch him on these two short video clips:


When we reached the entrance, Mark reminded me that I could go up again for half-price. However, I didn't feel like climbing up to the platform again, and so my turn will come the next time we visit Thunder Bay!

The views from the bridges were wonderful and, although there were intermittent raindrops, it stayed dry for most of our time there. 

Top of the zip line

Suspension bridge supports 

This man, and his son, built the Eagle Canyon Adventures 

Raspberries en route1



Highway 17 gives travelers some stellar views of Lake Superior. The sheer size of the lake brings with it a sense of awe. The road twists and turns to negotiate the rock formations and is well-maintained, with only a couple of construction moments.






We had no doubt that we were back in Ontario – the gas prices told us so! After paying $1.12 in Alberta, we had to acclimatize ourselves to the reality of our prices here in Northern Ontario. Another clue we were nearing home - at the Suspension Bridge, the biting bugs were there waiting to welcome us!



Just after we left the Marathon area, we hit a Superior Storm. The rain bucketed down and reduced visibility quite drastically. On the upside – our windshield and car body got a thorough (and overdue) clean! It was spotless once the sun came out and dried it off at no cost!  You lose some, you win some! 
Come Rain....

.... Come Shine!


We are now tucked up in our favourite Wawa motel, where we stayed just two weeks ago – The Mystic Isle. Great place – very basic, but clean and comfy.


Home tomorrow, but hoping that it will be warm enough for a dip in Superior before heading back to Elliot Lake. 
blogger templatesblogger widgets

No comments :

Post a Comment