Monday 20 January 2014

Road Trip - Day 20 - Fort Myers - Ocean Swimming & Meeting with our mentors/friends

Day 20 - January 20th, 2014  Fort Myers - Beach Day 2

Swimming in the Ocean & Meeting with our mentors/friends

Today, the temperature rose significantly, and it was quite hot when in the direct sun. We decided to return to Fort Myers Beach, this time, taking our friends with us. Vera made herself at home in a beach chair, while Sylvia, Mark, and I walked along the water's edge. 




My head can be seen in the middle of the two boats. 

I had foolishly allowed myself to be talked into leaving my swim costume behind - and I knew I was going to regret it. Once I felt the warmth of the air, I knew I had to get into that ocean, so i stripped down to my underwear and plunged in. It was truly exhilarating. The temperature of the water was 65 degrees Fahrenheit and I was surprised that I did not feel numb. So glad I did this!


We returned to the pier, where we met with Peter Pelican again. The wingspan of these birds is humongous. 


Flags representing various countries

Beach Jenga - a challenging game!
At one time, I passed a couple playing a beach version of Jenga. A huge crowd began gather to watch the last few rounds of this game. I couldn't believe how they were removing bricks from the lower section without it toppling. When the final brick was withdrawn and it collapsed, a friendly cheer went up and everyone continued on their walk/stroll down the beach. It was one of those moments that brought strangers together in a pleasant form of camaraderie. 


Plovers???


We met a woman on the pier from Smithsville, Ontario, who stays in this area for the winter. She was originally from Sheffield, in the U.K. She told us that she had caught over 24 sharks over the last few months from this pier. Glad she told me AFTER I had completed my swim!!



Mark opted for the warmer water of the backyard pool - and looks like he's in the seventh heaven!








Steve, Carolyne, Alan, and Mark 
We finished off the evening by meeting with our friends and mentors, Carolyne & Steve, from Wasaga Beach, Ontario. They bought a second home in Fort Myers in November and are busy furnishing their new home this week. They are down here until May. Carolyne and Steve are true ambassadors of our health and wellness company, and have hearts of gold! They are well-known international leaders, trainers, and mentors, and we are proud to call them our friends. 

We also met mutual friends/colleagues, Malcolm and Christina. They were celebrating their 30th Wedding Anniversary and we shared a Dom Perignon Champagne with them. They were leaving for Ontario and were hoping to drive all through the night and until 7:00 p.m. the next day - a marathon journey, for sure. 

We are so grateful to Vera and Sylvia, and Vera's daughter, Mary Ann, for allowing us to stay with them at this beautiful venue. 

Looking forward to the next leg of our journey to Key West tomorrow. 



blogger templatesblogger widgets

No comments :

Post a Comment